The World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) Cruiserweight Championship was a professional wrestling championship in World Wrestling Entertainment and was originally a World Championship Wrestling title. It was challenged by cruiserweights at a maximum weight of 215 lbs. During its tenure in WWE, it was exclusive to the SmackDown! brand.
The WWE Cruiserweight Championship was recognized as formerly being the World Championship Wrestling (WCW) Light Heavyweight Championship. Following the title's introduction in 1991, a tournament was held to determine the inaugural champion. On October 27, Brian Pillman defeated Richard Morton in the tournament final to win the title. However, when Brad Armstrong was forced to relinquish the title due to injury on September 2, 1992, it became inactive. Then, on March 20, 1996, Shinjiro Otani defeated The Pegasus Kid (Chris Benoit) in a decision match to win the WCW Cruiserweight Championship. In March 2001, the World Wrestling Federation purchased World Championship Wrestling. Soon after, "The Invasion" took place, in which The Alliance was ultimately dismantled. Following Survivor Series 2001, the title was renamed the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) Cruiserweight Championship, replacing the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship. Following the WWF/WWE name change in 2002, the championship was subsequently referred to as the WWE Cruiserweight Championship and became exclusive to the SmackDown! brand. On September 28, 2007, the title was vacated after the final champion, Hornswoggle, was stripped of the championship by SmackDown! General manager, Vickie Guerrero. After a six month absence, on March 3, 2008, WWE removed the championship from the active championship web page, where originally the title was listed as "vacant." Afterward, the title was removed from the active titles list on WWE's title histories web page to the defunct championship list. In this way, the title was quietly retired. Gregory Helms has had the longest title reign, with 385 days. Psychosis has had the shortest title reign, holding it for approximately an hour. Rey Mysterio Jr. has had the most title reigns with eight (five reigns in WCW, three in WWE). Three women have held the championship; Madusa and Daffney both had reigns with WCW while Jacqueline Moore is the only female to win the Cruiserweight Championship in its WWE incarnation.
- ↑ McAvennie, Mike (2007-07-22). "A leprechaun's pot o' Cruiserweight gold". http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20090602103855/http://www.wwe.com/shows/thegreatamericanbash/history/2007/matches/42789824/results/. Retrieved 2011-03-18. "Needless to say, Hornswoggle falls well within the 215-pound weight limit that’s stipulated in Cruiserweight rules, so there was no reason why he couldn’t participate in Sunday’s contest." Template:Dead link
- ↑ WWE: Inside WWE > Title History > Light Heavyweight
- ↑ "Hornswoggled". WWE. http://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/archive/09272007/articles/hornswoggled. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- ↑ "WWE Superstars". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/superstars/. Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- ↑ "WWE title histories". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/. Retrieved 2008-03-04.
Template:WCW Championships Template:Former WWE Championships Template:WWE Cruiserweight Championshipca:WWE Campionat Pes Creuer da:WWE Cruiserweight Championship de:WWE Cruiserweight Championship es:WWE Cruiserweight Championship fr:WWE Cruiserweight Championship it:WWE Cruiserweight Championship nl:WWE Cruiserweight Championship ja:WWE・クルーザー級王座 pl:WWE Cruiserweight Championship pt:WWE Cruiserweight Championship ro:WWE Cruiserweight Championship simple:WWE Cruiserweight Championship fi:WWE Cruiserweight Championship th:ดับเบิลยูดับเบิลยูอีครูเซอร์เวทแชมเปียนชิป vi:WWE Cruiserweight Championship